Friday, September 11, 2009

Roses, Roses, Roses

I've been wanting to master the gumpaste rose and figured it was a good time to conquer my fear. I've attempted the roses as seen in the Tonedna videos on youtube, but was never fully successful. Actually, I never even finished one before because I always got too frustrated. So, I decided to take the easy route and take a stab at the "Duff Rose"! (Duff Rose: Easy-Peasy rose that Duff Goldman mastered.)

Here were my first attempts:

duff rose thick thin

The rose on the left was bit too thick so I rolled my gumpaste thinner and tried again (rose on the right). It was better, but I wasn't too thrilled with the over all outcome.

I figured to really get over my fear and try a REAL rose. Here they are:

1st real rose 2nd real rose

Again, rose on the left: too thick. Rolled my gumpaste out thinner and got the rose on the right. Pretty darn good! These were the first full real roses I've done and I was stoked! So, I figured I'd give it a go again today. These were the results:

blue roses 9.11.09

YAY! I finally conquered my fears and came out on top! I actually timed myself: 14 minutes from rolling out my gumpaste (super thin!) the adjusting the last petal. Slow, but I'll get there. I'm sure of it! Oh, and here's the same blue flowers dusted with some "Peacock" luster dust:

dusted blue roses

Lessons Learned:
1) Face your fears and fight them!

No comments:

Post a Comment